Bollywood has always been the fore front of inspiring many fashion trends over years.. Some of them have faded, some of stayed back, and some have even revived courtesy some trigger by some film.. Here, we recall some of the key fashion trends that stood apart and were championed by some divas and films leaving a mark indelibly – and a lot of it on day to day dressing actually!
I know there have been multiple such trends initiated by the leading men as well.. but like they say, when it comes to style and fashion, let it be ladies first
1. Polka dots – Dimple Kapadia (Bobby) – Such was the influence that it still gets called the bobby print!
2. Frontal small hair locks – Sadhana (Don’t recall the first film though) – Again it went to be called the Sadhana cut!
3. Anarkali suits (or its revival) – Madhubala (Mughal-e-azam colored release) – It came out of its stereotypes and got added to the designerware for the elite post this!
4. Bell bottoms – Initiated by Zeenat Aman (Hare Rama Hare Krishna) and then consistently taken forward by Neetu Singh across a range of films!
5. Shimmering gowns – Parveen Babi (Shaan) – Aspirational but a trend nevertheless!
6. Chiffon sarees – Sridevi – With the oomph in Mr. India and then with the class and poise in Chandni, ravishing!
7. Bouncy wavy stepped hair – Dimple Kapadia (Saagar) – Crowning glory!
8. Headbands, Branded tees and sweatshirts – Kaajol (Kuchh kuchh hota hai) – She made the college going tomboy look cool and appealing!
9. Collared short kameez with jhola – Rani Mukherjee (Banty aur Babli) – I may still have a couple of kurtis from that time just for keeps!
10. Heavily rimmed spectacles – Preity Zinta (Kal ho na ho) – She made that so called nerdy look so sexy and how! This is after her maggi curls and long skirts of Dil Chahta Hain!
11. Denim shirts and skirts – Urmila Matondker (Rangeela) – Again became very popular with the college goers!
12. Bright plain sarees with sequin borders – Sushmita Sen (Main hoon na) – Drop dead diva! Thats all I can say!
13. Long tees with patiala – Kareena Kapoor (Jab we met) – This almost became the symbol of a free spirited and bindaas Geet!
14. Kohled smoky eyes – Deepika Padukone (Cocktail) – That stayed back with me, at least the smoky eyes part!
15. Palazzo with Kurti – Deepika Padukone again (This time with Piku) – A trend that is extremely comfortable and hence here to stay for long! And did I miss the bindi to go with it?
16. Long sleeved blouses – Vidya Balan (Parineeta initially and then Paa again) – Classy, Elegant! & Rekha of course!
17. Cotton printed sarees (Revival again) – Sridevi (English Vinglish) – The cotton block prints were back in rage and today a million online fashion houses are encashing it to their glory!
18. Torn Jeans – Alia Bhatt (Dear Zindagi) – A trend I personally despise but catching up like fire!
And I know for sure, there is more to it… Bring them on!
Next, we will cover Fashion Trends and Bollywood Heroes. How can they be left behind?