2018 in Hindi Cinema saw very interesting characters being written not just for the lead roles, but even for the supporting characters who raise the bar of the film through their sheer craft even in limited screen time. Men or women, they are at times the foundation on which the film flourishes. Here is looking at the Top 10 Supporting Performances of 2018 in Hindi films – playing some of the most memorable characters of the year and hence deserve to be celebrated in their own right!
- SUNIL GROVER as Dipper Naradmuni (Pataakha) – A scene stealer with impeccabale comic flair
- RAVI KISHAN as Sanjay Kumar (Mukkabaaz) – A life coach who impacted lives, and created winners there, the boxing ring hardly matters!
10. RAGHUBIR YADAV & YAMINI DAS as Mauji’s Parents (Sui Dhaaga – Made in India) – Completely natural with brilliant timing for every emotion, the parents were the extremely important thread to strengthen the fabric of the film.
09. MOHAMMAD SAMAD as Pandurang (Tumbbad) – This boy outdid Soham Shah in every scene they were together, a young dynamite! He even camouflaged himself into another role of the old granny in the film! What a performer!
08. RASIKA DUGAL as Safia (Manto) – A character that emoted so much through her silences and a performer who stole the limelight even from Manto when she was on. A performance that sadly got lost in a film attempting greatness!
07. RATNA PATHAK SHAH as Blossom D’souza & SUPRIYA PATHAK as Lata Chaturvedi (Love per Square Foot) – The powerhouse sister duo aced goofy characters as they took the house down with performances nothing short of riot. Together with the Yadav, they spread light and joy throughout the film!
06. VIJAY RAAZ as Bapu (Pataakha) – Pitch perfect as the helpless and endearing father, he came up with the most nuanced act of the film in a highly underwritten role. I so wish he was given more screen space, he deserved every bit of it.
05. VICKY KAUSHAL as Kamli (Sanju) and Iqbal Syed (Raazi) – Kaushal’s Kamli was all heart and the only convincing act in an otherwise abysmal film, while Iqbal is so gently understated and loving that you want to go and give him a tight hug!
04. SUREKHA SIKRI as Amma / Daadi (Badhaai Ho) – A sheer delight on screen with her caustic tongue oozing deep rooted patriarchy as well as love for her children at the same time. She walked away with some of the best dialogues of the year!
03. PANKAJ TRIPATHI as Rudra (Stree) – A complete hoot in his own unique way, when Rudra is on screen, you just don’t watch anyone else. Wish there was so much more to him in Stree, a character completely short changed in my opinion!
02. MANOJ PAHWA as Bilaal Ali Mohammed (Mulk) – Brilliantly restrained and notably honest, Pahwa moved us with his vulnerability, helplessness and sense of extreme loss caught up in a worst nightmare in a very important film of our times.
01. GITANJALI RAO as Vidya Iyer (October) – Flawless in her sense of fear, trauma, and helplessness throughout, and yet maintaining a very stoic and practical approach to life all the time, Geetanjali was a winner all the way! And when she stayed silent, her beautiful and expressive eyes did all the talking! Sheer brilliance!
So those were the best supporting performances of the year. Did you enjoy these performances? Do share your favorites too.
We will look at the lead performances in detail next. For all similar posts on year end roundup for 2018, please lookup YEAR END ROUNDUP 2018 – Hits & Misses
Copyright ©2018 Jayashree Chakravarti. This article cannot be reproduced in its entirety without permission. A link to this URL can be used instead.