There is only one way to describe the immortal music composer Jaidev – The underrated genius! For an artist whose entry into films was as a child artist, he induction as a composer happened as an assistant to stalwarts like Ali Akbar Khan and then Sachin Dev Burman. His first break as a music composer came in the year 1955, and over the next thirty plus years that he was active in, he score music for just over forty hindi films. And yet, he was the first music composer to be recognized with three national awards. That is the musical prowess of the man, who turned everything he touched to gold, and he didn’t need any big banner films to get attention and be heard.
On his birthday today, here is looking at some of the finest 15 songs under his belt. It is to be noted and that most of his albums had multiple gems, but we have picked one song per album here for maximum coverage.
So let us just surrender ourselves to some our musical ecstasy and celebrate Jaidev!
01. Jahaan me aisa kaun hain | Hum Dono (1960) | Asha Bhosle
02. Tu chanda main chaandni | Reshma aur Shera (1971) | Lata Mangeshkar
03. Ek akela is shahar me | Gharonda (1977) | Bhupinder Singh
04. Aapki yaad aati rahi | Gaman (1978) | Chhaya Ganguli
05. Chaand akela sakhi ri | Alaap (1977) | Yesudas
06. Zindagi mere ghar aana | Doorie (1989) | Bhupinder Singh & Anuradha Paudwal
07. Raat bhi hain kuchh bheegi bheegi | Mujhe jeene do (1963) | Lata Mangeshkar
08. Yeh wohi geet hain jisko maine | Maan Jaiye (1972) | Kishore Kumar
09. Jaise suraj ki garmi se | Parinay (1974) | Sharma Bandhu
10. Raghuvar tumko meri laaj | Ankahee (1986) | Pandit Bhimsen Joshi
11. Aaj achanak toot gaye kyun | Kinare Kinare (1964) | Lata Mangeshkar
12. Yeh dil aur unki nigahon ke saaye | Prem Parbat (1973) | Lata Mangeshkar & Jaidev
13. Teri zulfon se pyar kaun kare | Joru ka bhai (1955) | Talat Mahmood
14. Chhote se jeevan me | Madhushala – Non Film (1974) | Manna Dey
15. Tumul kolahal kalay me | An unforgettable treat – Non film (1971) | Asha Bhosle
And so in many amazingly melodious ways, the legend of Jaidev continues to shine in its own brightness.
If you like this content, please share the link for further reading.