The passing decade of 2010 – 2019 has been special in terms of how cinema molded itself to be more experimental, more fearless and breaking more boundaries. The phenomenon was true irrespective of film industries and languages and naturally we see the impact in Hindi films as well. As stories evolved, so did the music; and hence as we look at some of the Best Hindi Film Music Albums of the Decade, we see a very interesting mix of traditional, contemporary and experimental music.
As the nature of stories changed, there wasn’t much of space of a film featuring 8 to 10 songs anymore, unless it was a proper musical. At the sad end of things, the decade saw the heavy encroachment of the music space with badly done remixes that sometimes made up complete albums thereby making good original compositions more and more elusive. Punjabi songs also started getting increasingly featured in Hindi films irrespective of where the stories were based of. There was also a new trend of multiple artists coming together to collaborate on an album. And like every other era, there were still the chart-buster albums that introduced new sensations to the music field. While Aashiqui 2 broke all the records and gave Hindi films its most popular singer of the decade in Arijit Singh, a Student of the Year made a rage out of Varun Dhawan and Alia Bhatt, and the popular tracks from Yeh Jawani Hain Deewani or Badrinath ki Dulhaniya ruled dance floors to marriage sangeets.
But then amidst all the noise, good music that would stay on beyond years continued to be cultivated by a select group of composers. While A.R. Rahman and Gulzar were still churning out some occasional phenomenal work, and Pritam or Vishal Bhardwaj were adding their unique touch to their brand of music, the composer who will be most remembered to own the decade has to be Amit Trivedi. His collaboration with lyricists like Irshaad Kaamil or Amitabh Bhattacharya created gems. The decade was also fearless in terms of developing some unique genre albums experimenting full length in Jazz, Hip Hop, true blue Musicals and more, and they all shone brilliantly.
Which of them found a place in our top 25 albums of the decade? Are there some underrated surprise inclusions? Are there albums that have gained a niche following in the pop-culture, but haven’t resonated well enough with me to make the cut? Let us find out. Of course it is a list based on personal preferences, and it is understood that not everyone will agree to everything, and the relative rankings will also be subjective. Do share your thoughts on where you agree or disagree, and what would you add to the list. I can almost sense a couple of album names that will come up as a miss, but they have never grown on me. It is always good to exchange notes though.
We will start with some honorable mentions – these are pretty good albums in themselves and could easily make a place in anyone’s top 25 without ruffling many feathers:
Honorable mentions: Udaan (2010), Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara (2011), Talaash (2012), Kai Po Che! (2013), Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani (2013), Hasee to Phasee (2014), Dangal (2016)
Top 25 Hindi Film Albums of 2010 – 2019
25. English Vinglish (2012) | Director : Gauri Shinde | Composer : Amit Trivedi | Best Songs : Gustaakh dil, Dhak dhuk
24. Masaan (2015) | Director : Neeraj Ghaywan | Composer : Indian Ocean | Best Songs : Mann kasturi re, Tu kisi rail si guzarti hain
23. My Name Is Khan (2010) | Director : Karan Johar | Composer : Shankar Ehsaan Loy | Best Songs : Noor-e-Khuda, Tere naina
22. Laila Majnu (2018) | Director : Sajid Ali | Composer : Sunidhi Chauhan, Niladri Kumar, Joi Barua | Best Songs : O meri Laila, Sarphiri, Hafiz Hafiz
21. Inkaar (2013) | Director : Sudhir Mishra | Composer : Shantanu Moitra | Best Songs : Khamoshiyaan awaaz hain, Darmiyaan, Maula tu Malik hain
20. Fitoor (2016) | Director : Abhishek Kapoor | Composer : Amit Trivedi, Hitesh Sonik | Best Songs : Pashminaa dhaago ke sang, Haminastu, Tu fitoor mera
19. Queen (2014) | Director : Vikas Bahl | Composer : Amit Trivedi | Best Songs : Kinaare, Harjayiyaan, Taake jhaanke
18. Tamasha (2015) | Director : Imtiaz Ali | Composer : A.R. Rahman | Best Songs : Agar tum saath ho, Heer to badi sad hain, Tu koi aur hain
17. M.S. Dhoni : The Untold Story (2016) | Director : Neeraj Pandey | Composer : Sanjoy Chowdhury, Amaal Mallik | Best Songs : Besabriyaan, Jab tak, Kaun tujhe yun
16. Highway (2015) | Director : Imtiaz Ali | Composer : A.R. Rahman | Best Songs : Maahi ve, Sooha saaha, Tu kuja, Heera
15. Gully Boy (2019) | Director : Zoya Akhtar | Composer : Various Artists | Best Songs : Train Song, Apna time aayega, Dooriyan, Jeene me aaye mazaa
14. Andhadhun (2018) | Director : Shriram Raghavan | Composer : Amit Trivedi | Best Songs : Woh ladki, Laila Laila, Aap se milkar, Naina da kya kasoor
13. Meri Pyaari Bindu (2017) | Director : Akshay Roy | Composer : Sachin – Jigar | Best Songs : Maana ke hum yaar nahi, Afeemi, Haareya
12. Jab Harry Met Sejal (2017) | Director : Imtiaz Ali | Composer : Pritam | Best Songs : Ghar, Yaadon mein, Hawaayein, Safar
11. Gangs Of Wasseypur (2012) | Director : Anurag Kashyap | Composer : Sneha Khanwalkar, G. V. Prakash Kumar| Best Songs : Ik bagal me, Womaniya, Moora
10. Aye Dil Hain Mushkil (2016) | Director : Karan Johar | Composer : Pritam | Best Songs : Aye dil hain mushkil, Channa mereya, Alizeh
09. Piku (2015) | Director : Shoojit Sircar | Composer : Anupam Roy| Best Songs : Bezubaan, Piku title track, Lamhe guzar gaye, Sarod theme
08. Jagga Jasoos (2017) | Director : Anurag Basu | Composer : Pritam | Best Songs : Main musafir, Phir wahi, Dil ullu ka pattha hain
07. Rockstar (2011) | Director : Imtiaz Ali | Composer : A.R. Rahman | Best Songs : Kun faaya kun, Phir se ud chala, Nadaan parinde, Hawaa hawaa
06. Bombay Velvet (2015) | Director : Anurag Kashyap | Composer : Amit Trivedi | Best Songs : Dhadaam dhadaam, Naak pe gussa, Aam Hindustani, Behroopiya
05. Bajirao Mastaani (2015) | Director : Sanjay Leela Bhansali | Composer : Sanjay Leela Bhansali | Best Songs : Mohe rang do laal, Aayat, Ab tohe jaane na doongi, Aaj ibaadat
04. Manmarziyaan (2018) | Director : Anurag Kashyap | Composer : Amit Trivedi | Best Songs : Chonch ladiyaan, Daayra, Grey wala shade, Sacchi mohabbat
03. Raanjhana (2013) | Director : Aanand L Rai | Composer : A.R. Rahman | Best Songs : Tum tak, Banarasiya, Piya milenge, Aise na dekho
02. Barfi! (2012) | Director : Anurag Basu | Composer : Pritam | Best Songs : Phir le aaya dil, Kyon na hum tum, Aashayein, Saawali se raat ho
01. Lootera (2013) | Director : Vikramaditya Motwane | Composer : Amit Trivedi | Best Songs : Manmarziyaan, Zinda, Monta re, Shikayatein, Sawaar loon
So that was the ranking of 25 Best Hindi Film Albums Of The Decade – A Third Vantage Point Perspective! Clearly a decade dominated by Amit Trivedi (7 albums), followed by A.R. Rahman and Pritam (4 albums each). Also, not surprisingly there was a clear dominance of certain stars in the list as well, we always associate good music with their films even if they don’t always become commercial hits necessarily – Ranbir Kapoor (6 movies) led the list; Deepika Padukone, Ranveer Singh and Anushka Sharma had 3 movies each; while Shahrukh Khan, Ayushmann Khurrana, Alia Bhatt, Priyanka Chopra, Katrina Kaif and Tabu had their movies featured more than once in the top 25 list.
Over the next few weeks, we will comprehensively look at more of such lists under other categories. Meanwhile, please do share your thoughts on this one, and keep your music playlist active and updated!
If you like this content, please share the link for further reading.