2020 can easily be called the year of the Digital. As the pandemic brought the world to a lockdown state by the end of the first quarter, it was only the content on digital that kept the world sane and going one day at a time. With time, more and more completed films found their direct release on digital, with time new digital content started getting developed with the constraints of social distancing, and the audience were treated with a rather diversified platter of engaging content – human stories of hope, heartbreak, struggles and agency. 2020 was also a very brutal year in the way in which it took away so many artists from the field of Performing Arts and Entertainment, and some of these losses were beyond our comprehension. The films featuring those departed souls also left us teary eyed in their own ways.
So here is our pick of the 10 Best Hindi Films of 2020, films that worked in totality, some of them making a part of our repeat watchlists, and many of them going bold and experimental with themes, narration styles, and challenging the status quo without inhobitions. In spite of many big films pushed out to 2021 as they continue to wait for theatrical releases, 2020 didn’t leave us empty handed and gave us some pretty good films to cherish and celebrate. Here’s to more of that in 2021 and beyond.
Also Read: 10 Best Hindi Film Songs of 2020
Raat Akeli Hai by Honey Trehan, Cargo by Arati Kadav, Lootcase by Rajesh Krishnan, Chintu ka Birthday by Satyanshu Singh & Devanshu Kumar, Bhonsle by Devashish Makhija
10. AK v/s AK | Vikramaditya Motwane | Netflix
09. Yeh Ballet | Sooni Taraporevala | Netflix
08. Ludo | Anurag Basu | Netflix
07. Gunjan Saxena: The Kargil Girl | Sharan Sharma | Netflix
06. Gulabo Sitabo | Shoojit Sircar | Amazon Prime
05. Kadakh | Rajat Kapoor | SonyLIV
04. Chhapaak | Meghna Gulzar | Disney Hotstar
03. Sir | Rohena Gera | Unreleased on digital, limited screening in theatres
02. Eeb Allay Ooo | Prateek Vats | Limited digital screening during online festivals, now playing in theatres
01. Thappad | Anubhav Sinha | Amazon Prime
So, that was the Third Vantage Point retrospective on the Best Hindi Films of 2020. What were your favourites of the year? Here’s more on the yearly roundup for 2020, keep checking this space Best of 2020
If you like this content, please share the link for further reading.
Copyright ©2020 Jayashree Chakravarti.This article cannot be reproduced in its entirety without permission. A link to this URL can be used instead.